I've been hard at work trying to integrate the latest version (0.4) of OCRopus with VelOCRaptor. Just compiling it on the Mac has been a challenge, and now that it's running I have to report that it's accuracy is not noticeably better that 0.3. This isn't a surprise, as the new release has not been trained on much character data, but it is disappointing, as I have spent over a week not improving our product.
So, with bills to pay I've decided to release VelOCRaptor 1.0 with OCRopus 0.3. Its accuracy on good quality scans is sufficient for finding finding them again with Spotlight, and for copying sections of text. I expect to be able to release a version with demonstrably better performance before the end of the year, as OCRopus 0.5 promises much.
We're now set up to receive payments via PayPal and automatically send out licences by email. I've edited but not yet published the v1.0 website, and am just preparing the copy for the Apple downloads site. If you want a cheap licence by donation, I'd get in there quick!